Advent is a season that speaks softly to me, encouraging me to listen, observe, and reflect in quietness. My daily ritual is to light a candle in the darkness of each Advent morning, read aloud a poem or quotation, then sit quietly.
From November 28-December 24 , I will share a piece of writing that I have collected or written, which resonates with my own spiritual journey at this time of year. I hope that their words may be resources for your Advent practices. If you have Advent rituals and/or writing to add, I encourage you to leave them in the comments section for the rest of us to read.
Peace in this time of waiting and discovery.
Twylla

Monday, December 13, 2010

Praise for an Ordinary Day

December snow settles
on spruce and hemlock,
swollen flakes forming
a heavy mantle.

Pliant shoulders bend,
quietly accepting
layer upon layer,
draped in astonishing beauty.

We are connected,
my woodland companions and I,
arrayed in our accumulated burdens,
stronger than we know.

Later, a wash of rain
dissolves winter’s finery,
elegant boughs,
now plain.

I mourn
such fleeting splendor
until my searching heart
once again sees.

Assembled in joyous profusion,
a vibrant, green sisterhood
embraces
the place where I live.

And thrust into the pallid sky,
a riot of evergreen arms
praises
this ordinary day.

©2010 Diane DeSloover
Juneau, Alaska
(printed with permission)

                                                 "Virgin Alaska Forest"
                                                 Photo by Ken Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment